Essex Business Adaptation Grant will help businesses carry out adjustments to enable them to continue to operate safely.
Essex County Council has allocated financial support to help the businesses in the borough adapt to prevent the further spread of Covid-19.
Grants of up to £5,000 are available and will be awarded based on individual business needs. The funding will allow businesses to adapt their premises and operations so that they can continue to operate safely and in line with government guidance.
This grant can only be spent on works undertaken after 1 June 2021.
Businesses that are eligible
To be eligible for an Essex Business Adaptation Grants a business must:
- have been open and trading on 4 November 2020;
- be categorised as micro, small or medium sized;
- operate in a COVID secure way;
- have a current and relevant certificate to show compliance with the laws and regulations relevant to its trade.
Businesses cannot apply if
- They were in administration;
- Are insolvent;
- Were given a striking off notice at the date of the restriction;
- Are claiming for costs incurred prior to 1 June 2021;
- They have already received grant payments that equal the maximum levels of State Aid.
Examples of items that grant awards can be used for
Examples of items that a Business Adaptation Grant can be used for includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Vehicles and personal transportation connected with supplying delivery services such as cycles
- Access improvements/ amendments, for example, motion sensor doors, queuing adaptations, one-way set-ups, or improvised waiting areas
- Internal adaptations, for example, relocation of existing fixtures and fittings or services, potentially to support new ways of using the space to ensure social distancing or diversified uses of premises
- Exterior furniture, shelter, heating, lighting, for example, tables, seating, benches, awning, canopy, patio-heaters, or interventions to support appropriately spaced outdoor service
Examples of items excluded from the scheme
The following costs are excluded from the scheme
- Equipment / adaptations which are not COVID-secure and do not follow the guidance and legislation set out by Her Majesty’s Government.
- Acquisition of land / buildings either directly or indirectly connected to making businesses COVID-secure.
- Direct subsidy of customers purchases for example offering 50% off meals.
- Consultancy, design and statutory application fees.
- Professional fees (e.g., solicitor / surveyor / architect)
- Personal Protective Equipment, consumable items such as masks/gloves/sanitiser refill etc.
- Retrospective expenditure where works/items were already been obtained prior to 1st June 2021.