The United Nations Economic Commission for Africa B.I.S (Business. Idea. Startup) Grant awards $25,000 to Africans with innovative ideas, brilliant startups and growing businesses.
Whether it’s just an idea or an established business, their programme is structured to assist you access funds.
Target Audience: Citizens from 54 member countries of the African Union.
Grant Prize: 5,000 participants would be selected to receive a grant of $25,000 in cash and $10,000 in training.
What they’re looking out for
Criteria used in evaluating applications and awarding grants include:
- Financials: How their grant funds would really contribute to the growth of your idea, startup or business.
- Integrity: Your application should be filled with accurate information as they often verify applicant claims.
- Team: Explain why you or your team (if any) is best equipped to execute your idea, startup or business.
- Broader Impact: During the interview, share how their grant funds would impact your society at large.
- Age: Applicant must be above the age of 16 years and below 65 years.
- Citizenship: Applicant must be a bona fide citizen of an African country.
- Education: Applicant must have at least completed secondary or high school education.
- Conferencing Tool: Applicant must have a close-by device to initiate a video conferencing call.
B.I.S Grant aims to empower Africans to thrive in a daunting economy by equipping them with financing, training and mentorship.
The process to acquire their grant is categorised into three stages.
- Application Stage: Firstly, applicants shall apply via the online form below. Within 4-5 working days, an applicant should receive a positive or negative feedback from the assessment team.
- Interview Stage: Applicants who receive positive feedbacks shall have a virtual interview with a United Nations assessment representative. Within 48-72 hours, the interview result should be disclosed.
- Verification Stage: Finalist shall go through a process of thorough verification before any disbursement can be initiated.