The UNICEF Innovation Fund is looking to make $50-100K equity-free investments to provide early-stage (seed) finance to for-profit technology start-ups that have the potential to benefit humanity.
If you’ve got a start-up registered in one of UNICEF’s programme countries and have a working, open source prototype (or you are willing to make it open-source) showing promising results, the UNICEF Innovation Fund is looking for you.
Who can submit an Expression of Interest to the UNICEF Innovation Fund?
Projects are assessed by the UNICEF Innovation Fund team and recommended for funding to the internal board. Companies need to fulfill the following mandatory requirements to be considered for funding:
- Registered as a private company.
- Registered in a UNICEF program country.
- Working on open source technology solutions (or willing to be open-source) under the following licenses or their equivalent:
- for software, a BSD license,
- for hardware, a CERN license and
- a CC-BY license for design or content, a CC-BY license.
- An existing prototype of the open-source solution with promising results from initial pilots.
- The solution has the potential to positively impact the lives of the most vulnerable children.
- Generating publicly exposed real-time data that is measurable.
What kind of ideas/companies will the Innovation Fund support?
- Project is developing new technology.
- Project is expanding/improving existing technology/ platform (i.e. it will be in a place where the technology is being used but will involve new tech being built).
- Project is a new application/ piloting new use case for existing technology (i.e little or no new technology will be built and it will be used in the same place).
How will Expressions of Interest be assessed?
The following criteria will be used:
- Relevance of solution for children and young people, problem-solution fit and potential for application at a global scale;
- The novelty of project and alignment with Innovation Principles;
- Suitability of the team and key personnel to implement the project;
- Project budget and financing.
Submission deadline: 1st July